Friday, June 29, 2007

Grand Puba Maxwell

Eh yo...Puba is one of the handful of cats who should just be ushered into the hip hop hall of fame IMMEDIATELY. Few people have held their relevance longer than GP. He is also multitalented. Most of his praise comes vis-a-vis his adept lyrical skill but he has produced a large number of certifiable bangers. I was first introduced to GP through "Sexy" while he was a member of Masters of Ceremonies (1986). While the other MC held his own...Puba definitely was the star of the group as his water smooth flow was already readily apparent.



"Step Up Front" demonstrates Puba's production prowess. I believe this is the first usage of the Bumpin bus Stop break, regardless, the song is a masterpiece. Positive K more than meets the match of such a finely tuned track.



Of course by the late 80s. Puba found himself in the seminal NY Nation of Gods and Earths outfit, "Brand Nubian" who released the classic "one for all". One for All is an undisputable classic and "who can get busy like this man" is a funky solo exhibition for Grand P.



Puba left Brand Nubian until 1998 when they returned with the criminally underappreciated "foundation". Puba was still dropping jewels and flows over premier, lord finesse and others beats...check "Love vs. Hate"



Peace to the GODS!
Masters of Ceremony: Sexy(http://www.zshare.net/audio/2524351cede01e/)
Positive K: Step Up Front(http://www.zshare.net/audio/25243661de9cc3/)
Brand Nubian: Who Can get busy Like This?(http://www.zshare.net/audio/252437637f35da/)
Brand Nubian: Love vs Hate (http://www.zshare.net/audio/25243897b3713a/)

2 comments:

D.L. Chandler said...

Peace To The Gods Indeed!

I'm an old dude/oldhead/whatever. I grew up on Puba. But what's ill is that I have ALL THE MASTERS OF CEROMONY SINGLES ON WAX. I want to do a remake of Master Move so bad, but no MCs are old enough (or care enough) to do it with me. Plus, I'd have to find someone to fill in the Don Barron part. I'd do Doctor Who's part...anyway.

Brand Nubian is responsibe for me discovering NGE (Nations of Gods and Earths) and I can't stress enough how much Puba and Brand Nu's catalouge stays in my rotation. Peace to you for this, my man.

PEACE,

DirtyMash aka Mash Comp of Dumhi

www.myspace.com/wiseismashcomp

Howard Lloyd said...

thats whattup cuzo. i recently met him @ a live mechanics photo shoot. i thanked him for a similiar impact he had on myself.